Klook.com

05 March, 2012

Penang Food Fest @ Suria Cafe, The Saujana Kuala Lumpur

It has been 9 months since I last went for a food trip at Penang. Almost a year after the wonderful trip with delectable sumptuous street food from one alley to another, I finally found a place which offers the Penang's best food in KL. 

Thanks to Suria Cafe @ The Saujana Resort for having this Penang Food Fest from 1 to 14 March 2012, so that I can enjoy the Penangites' faves in KL!

The restaurant has transformed with stalls serving local Penang fare. You can go from one stall to another and see how the experienced chefs prepare the delicacies in front of you. 

#1 Penang Kopi Tarik 

The presentation of the coffee reminds me of the oldies coffee shops at almost every corner in Penang. I quickly sip on this cup of aromatic coffee before starting off with some Penang choices of appetizers.


#2 Penang Rojak

The Penang Rojak, Mamak Pasembur and Chinese Loh Bak are some Penang street food which satiates the multi-racial Malaysians, and I'm glad to find them here. 

I picked some beancurd, prawn fritter, fried crabsticks, egg, fish cakes, and deep-fried prawns before adding the shredded cucumber, turnip and spicy sweet peanut sauce. The combination may be of both Malay and Chinese styles, but it's just nice for me.

 #3 Sotong Kangkung

Here you can enjoy the delicious brown cuttlefish and water conculvus with the sweet and spicy sauce.

#4 Penang Assam Laksa

When it comes to the main courses, this staple and most famous hawker food definitely tops my list! The Assam Laksa here is really addictive because of the spicy and sour taste of the thick fish broth. Of course, no Assam Laksa is perfect without the Hae Kor (Dark prawn paste)!

#3 Penang Char Kuey Teow

Another famous street food coming my way is the fried flat noodles with shrimps and cockles. I love the dish to be spiced up with generous amount of chilli paste. Alternatively, you can opt for Penang Char Kuay Kaa with Chap Chai Poh which is of similar authenticity.

#4 Penang Curry Noodles

At the first glance, I recognize this as an original Penang curry noodles because of its lighter pale color, unlike those fiery-red-colored curry served in KL. After my first spoon, I find the soup very flavourful as it is aromatic on its own. 

#5 Penang Oh-Chien

The fried oyster omelette tastes good with the right amount of starch used to hold the eggs and oysters together. Not too gummy, I personally enjoy the slightly sticky texture of the dish.

 #6 Penang Chee Cheong Fun

I learn that a plate of hawker-styled steamed rice noodle rolls is best served with shrimp sauce for an authentic Penang taste, so I'd love to try it next time.

 #7 Mee Goreng Mamak

Another popular Penang hawker food, the spicy fried noodle is also a must-try. The yellow egg noodles are fried with eggs, prawns, fish cakes and chilli into perfection, and I find a good balance of sweet and spicy taste in this dish.

#8 Popiah Basah

The spring roll here is tiny in size, holding lesser stuffing as compared to the usual ones. Consisting of crushed peanuts, shredded vegetables and chilli sauce, I personally find it less interesting because I prefer thinner skin. And I'd love to have some Pai Tee rather than popiah.

 #9 Apom Pisang

I've always thought that Apam Pisang is an oven-baked banana cake. But the apam served here is actually a banana pancake, made of smooth flour batter and stuffed with raw, sliced banana. It still looks a little boring eventhough it is served on banana leaf. 

So why not we add some interesting features onto the dish? Healthy fruit slices served along with the pancake is perfect especially for breakfast. That makes me craving for some maple syrup as well.

 #10 Penang ABC

After sampling the hot and spicy food, it's time for some Ais Batu Campur. The shaved ice with generous amount of cendol, red beans, nuts, cincau, sweet corns and jelly cubes is a well-balanced dessert with the right amount of sweetness.

#11 Pulut Hitam Dessert

The perfect endnote of the buffet-styled meal is a bowl of Chinese black glutinuos rice dessert. Thickened with coconut cream, it is a very filling and aromatic dessert.

#12 Chef Desmond, Chef Wafi and Chef Badrol

The above scrumptious meal is prepared by these 3 Penang''s Top Chefs. They came all the way to KL to display the true colours of Penang hawker fare, and thanks to them for spreading the art of Penang food around.

You don't have to spend hundreds on a food trip to Penang because now you can easily get a taste of Penang's best delicacies @ RM68++ for lunch and RM84++ for dinner here!
With the ongoing Penang Food Fest, other local and western cuisines are served as usual in Suria Cafe. There you can experience the al-fresco dining with wide selections of fusion food.

Verdict:
1. Out of the wide selections of Penang hawker fare, the assam laksa is my favourite among all.
2. No matter how authentic the food is, I still prefer enjoying them at some noisy streets or crowded stalls in Penang.
3. I was actually looking forward to sampling Penang Har Mee, but seems like they don't offer any.

Suria Cafe
Lower Ground Floor,
The Saujana Hotel Kuala Lumpur, 
Saujana Resort, 
Jalan Lapangan Terbang SAAS, 
40150 Shah Alam, Selangor. 
Contact: 603-7843 1234 ext 6122 / 4717
Website: www.thesaujanahotel.com
Operating Hours: 6am to 11pm daily

87 comments:

  1. Wah.. awesome food.. ALL is my favorite food.. miss my home now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikel, i love street food as much as you do too!

      Delete
  2. Please give me your food tips for Penang - visiting at the end of this month and starting to make my food plan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, there are plenty of lorong in Penang which offer sumptuous hawker food, you can google it out as the list is really long :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I din't know about this food fest! Wish I can pay a visit there before it ends~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Hayley, 10 more days to go, be quick!

      Delete
  4. wah... i like Penang O Jien only ~~~ XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Mr Lonely, that's a good seafood dish :)

      Delete
  5. The Rojak and Asam Laksa... *drooolssss*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Josarine, they're good, have you tried? :)

      Delete
  6. I WANNA TRY THEIR POPIAH BASAHH!! looks so tempting babe!! nice write up! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Eunice, thanks for your compliment and don't miss the fest!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hi there, interested in it? :) try 'em out before you miss it

      Delete
  8. suddenly see the chee chiong fun and pulut hitam dessert, I is so craving them now!


    I eat the chee chiong fun that with prawn sauce before, taste very strong for me and I enjoy it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kian Fai, i miss the chee cheong fun with prawn sauce T_T wanted to try 'em someday

      Delete
  9. you must be one of the early bords. Not many people yet ah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Small Kucing, there'll be more coming :)

      Delete
  10. Penang Char Kuey Teow !!
    I miss that.... slurps !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Hong Wei, that reminds you of some good times at Penang too eh? :)

      Delete
  11. wow! asam laksa and penang abc definitely my top choice of all! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xue Ren, you love hot and cold combination? try 'em soon!

      Delete
  12. I stay close by and I didnt know they are having a Penang feast! Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, it's good for you to be able to visit them anytime then :)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Hi Chuen, a fan of Penang food? try 'em out!

      Delete
  14. I will go for the assam laksa all the way, that is so tempting and I am like rolling now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Nava, thanks for your comment, same goes to me!

      Delete
  15. All the nice food in one trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Meitzeu, yea that's really convenient for me :)

      Delete
  16. Thats where I would love to be right now

    ReplyDelete
  17. yes, the laksa was fabulous! girl... salute!! You are just a speedy gonzales... hehehe :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Jenn, thank you and i know what to be prioritized :)

      Delete
  18. whoa, the food looks really authentic! definitely looks like real penang food, mostly! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Sean, yes they are; I'm impressed too!

      Delete
  19. looks nice. didnt know you went back to penang already lol

    colourless opinions™

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Tony, I'm at KL yet getta try these glorious food :)

      Delete
  20. I'm so tempted to catch the first flight to Penang. The food looks soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Debbz, you dont have to go that far now, these food is here in KL already!

      Delete
  21. thanks for your lovely comment! The food looks awesome. Wish I could eat it, too (: Your blog is gorgeous. I'm following you now (:
    http://thesmallnoble.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, thanks for your support; Keep reading!

      Delete
  22. Ah!!! This looks a lot better than what I saw at Concorde KLIA - cheaper there but could hardly see anything Penang...mostly usual hotel buffet stuff. This one has the stalls - that's what Penang food is all about - hawker stall food. Yummmmm!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey suituapui, then you should definitely try this out :)

      Delete
  23. Not too bad as you will get to enjoy almost all the Penang food ere, except for the crowd and noises..ahahhahha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Yee Ling, well it's considered as 80% enjoying there :P

      Delete
  24. i guess that's the alternative to enjoy penang food when craving for it ahhh

    ReplyDelete
  25. Should come to Penang for the real taste! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Ahsiang, i will definitely revisit Penang for more satisfactions!

      Delete
  26. Awesome, I mean all the food here. I love the Apam Pisang, black glutinous rice soup, Assam Laksa, Curry Laksa and fried koey teow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Yan, seems like you love most of them! :) hope you get a good try there too

      Delete
  27. The asam laksa broth look so thick with lots of fish~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Choi Yen, yes it's undeniably good :)

      Delete
  28. I love and miss Penang food so much, I wish to travel there just for their food again!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. cool! got penang food fest in KL summore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Camy, coz' everyone is not as lucky as you to get to taste them everyday :)

      Delete
    2. yeaaa. i feel so proud :D

      Delete
  30. i wan the curry and the abc tooooo >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Caro, bring your friends and family to enjoy there then :P

      Delete
  31. izit same taste with penang food. Hmm, they look good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Nic, most of them have similar taste with penang ones :)

      Delete
    2. oh izit? I will go and have a try if i travel to kl. :-)

      Delete
  32. I am eyeing on the fried oh chien and chee cheong fun! No buffet line ever serve that in hotels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Ken, yes they are indeed rare on the buffet line.

      Delete
  33. Thanks very much for dropping by my blog! My gosh...can't believe what I am seeing here. It's all killing me...haha. They look SO good! I really miss Penang food! Hope I can cook all these! Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Mary, thanks for your compliment, i just can't wait to try the homemade ones! :)

      Delete
  34. Owh you was there also? Same goes with me. Know u know who i am. Haha

    All the food is ok only for me. Lamb was good, but the rojak failed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lan, sorry that I didn't notice you there. Hope to meet you soon to sample some delicious cuisine!

      Delete
    2. No worry, i go there not as a blogger. Just teman si Becky. She is my kaki makan now. So if i wanna try something, i will ask her along.

      Delete
    3. Lan, good to meet foodies there as well so that we can exchange some thoughts about food :)

      Delete
  35. This isn't very fair - these are some of my absolutely favorite foods!!! my stomach is growling.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Belinda, glad to hear that you loved the food there. Try 'em out, wouldn't you? :)

      Delete
  36. You was there also?
    Now u should know who i am already. Hehe
    everything was ok only to me. But the pasembor was failed.
    Too cold to eat

    ReplyDelete
  37. I enjoy a plate of nice Penang Char Kway Teow & would love to visit Penang again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Shirley, yes you should treat it as a food vacation with your family and loved ones :)

      Delete
  38. This looks like foodie heaven - sounds and looks like you had a wonderful time :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Uru, yes indeed it is, have you tried?

      Delete
  39. This is so near my house! This hotel is actually the nearest hotel to my house dy :) Will definitely try to drop by for a feast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Merryn, you're so lucky to stay so near to such tranquil area :) hope you have a try, and do let me know how is it after you've tasted them.

      Delete
  40. waaaaah~~~ i really2 like Penang delicacies!!
    when i went to Penang last year i gain 4kg in 5 days!! ;p
    the food there was really great~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Frog, same goes to me, the good food is simply irresistible!

      Delete
  41. If you like Penang Assam Laksa, I would recommend you to visit Cafe Bonne Grey at Menara Hap Seng at Jalan P. Rample. It's located at the ground floor next to Trattoria. Their Mocha Fantasy ice-cream coffee is one of my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Jalan P. Ramlee...typo error

    ReplyDelete

Comment here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...